Our funeral home traditions started in 1925. Alva Harris started the Harris funeral home in Bladensburg, Ohio. Later, his son and daughter-in-law, Lawrence and Edna Harris, became the owner and operators of the family business. In 1975, after working for other funeral homes and embalming chemical companies, John T. “Pete” and Mary Dilley had the opportunity to purchase the Harris Funeral Home.
Then in 1979, Pete and Mary Dilley purchased the North Funeral Home, located at 212 N. Main Street in Mount Vernon, after the death of owner and funeral director Joseph North. Joe and Ruth North owned and operated the funeral home for 22 years.
Pete and Mary Dilley owned and operated Harris-Dilley Funeral Home and North-Dilley Funeral Home until January 2008. In January, associates of Dilley Funeral Service, Brent and Gloria (Dickerson) Lasater, purchased both funeral home locations. Gloria, a native of Gambier, started working at the funeral home shortly after high school. Brent started his employment with Dilley Funeral Service in 2003.
In October 2013, Brent and Gloria started the process of fulfilling a lifetime dream. The dream of opening a brand new funeral home in Knox County. In October 2014, 12 months later, Brent and Gloria Lasater opened the door to a brand new 12,000 square foot funeral home. The Lasater Funeral Home and Family Center is located at 11337 Upper Gilchrist Road. The former Body Basic Health Club. Feel free to stop by to take a tour of the spacious new funeral home and everything it has to offer our community.